Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back to the Drawing Board

The first try at the brides dress has been a miserable failure. Okay, anyone else would say it looks just fine but I'm not happy with it. If I make it and I'm not happy with it, you don't see it. Failed projects are grease rags! But still, not a complete failure. It looks like I am going to end up combining two patters and re drafting most of the dress.

Here is the start for try #2

Ladies Burda Pattern 8198 - Victorian Themed Wedding Dress or Ball Gown - Size 10-26

All three of us, Bride, Groom and Seamstress love the neckline on this dress. I like it that the bodice has not gusset under the arm. So what is the problem? The Bride doesn't like the gathered skirt and I kinda agree with her. The lines of the other skirt are very elegant. The skirt was my favorite part of the other dress.

Sooooo........ Here is what we are going to do. I am going to take the elements we like from both dresses and I am going to make HER dress. I am going to be drafting some parts and tracing other parts from one pattern or the other. Keep the sleeve of the original dress with alterations. Keep the skirt of the first dress and redraft it into the new bodice and neckline.

Sound a little complicated? Not as complicated as making the other neckline work! That thing was not cooperating with me. So much so that I had to wave the white flag of surrender. However, I think the dress will be prettier for the changes! ! !

Now are you ready for some good news? I won't need a pattern for the brides maids dresses! But don't worry, they will be beautiful. The skirt will be a simple pleated skirt with a fitted neckline and side zipper. A white peasant style blouse and a bodice drafted to fit each lovely lady's very own measurements. It will be a snug fitting Renascence style corset. Lined with cotton, a thinker coutile or canvas center and a cover that matches or coordinates with the skirt. That part hasn't been decided. It will look nice on all body types and fit each person perfectly.

Yippee for me. I won't have to deal with poorly drafted commercial patterns! ! !

Here is a similar outfit I made for my oldest daughter several years ago.


I may put tabs around the bottom of the bodice to make it lay better over the waist band. This outfit took a little more than a day to make. The dress in the photo was make using a pattern and I was not happy with the results. The dresses for the wedding will be my own design and be made by the measurements of each lady.


4 comments:

  1. Again with the mixed fount thing. GRRRR My CDO is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hush up and sew.....it's what you do. Computers not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Electronics hate me. They are plotting against me!

      That is my story and I am sticking to it.

      Delete
  3. a problem already.... The front bodice is in two pieces, not one. It is an issue that shouldn't be that hard to work around. Putting on my thinking cap and working around the puzzle. I am sure there are going to be other square pegs to fit into round holes.

    ReplyDelete